Saturday, May 8, 2010

Small things that mean so much

Tim told me last night before we went out that he had a surprise for me. I knew from the sound of his keys striking the box in his pocket that I was getting jewelery of some kind. I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and he sat there in the dark on my bed. Even in the dim light he looked nervous. I couldn't help but smile and try not to drip toothpaste on my polo dress.

After finishing up, I stepped into my room and snapped on the light. He held out a box to me and I hugged him before I even opened the box. I opened the brown cardboard box and tried not to burst into tears. They were little Triforce shaped earrings, studs. They weren't gold or silver, but that that moment they were the most precious thing I had held in a long time. I just kept hugging Tim to hide the fact that I was tearing up.

I've had boyfriends give me jewelry of all kinds. Silver and gold. Earrings, necklaces and bracelets. I'm not much of a jewelry person, but these earrings meant so much to me in that moment. Tim knew of my affection for the Legend of Zelda game series and my love for all sorts of gaming crafts. This was something I never expected.

I finally let go of him, apologizing profusely for starting to cry. I told him how much I loved the earrings and how I never expected it. I can't remember the last time someone I dated surprised me with a gift I truly loved. I felt so special and cared for and appreciated by him in a way I haven't felt in years. I suspect Tim teared up a bit too because as a pulled away he looked down and wiped his eyes too.

For the first time in ages, I know how my friends must have felt when I did something for them for no apparent reason, other than I cared and remembered them. I didn't know I could still feel this way.

It's amazing.

No comments: